Monday, January 28, 2013

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice Celebration!


Today's post marks the 200th anniversary of the publication of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen as indicated by Alyssa Goodnight.

When did I first read the novel? (A very intimate and personal question, mind you)

That's easy; I read it for the first time in 10th grade Honors English class. Mr. Russey, our headmaster at the school, taught the class. I had no idea who Jane Austen was or what Pride and Prejudice was about until I had that class. I honestly thought that I was going to hate it. But, after the first page, I was hooked. I loved the way she wrote and her subtle humor. The descriptions of everyday life were captivating.

This is the book I read, but not my copy.
Mine, unfortunately, suffered of a broken spine that was held together by tape.
It did not make it past High School, sadly.


I read that book everywhere. I would take it up in a tree with an apple.  I would read it at 5am because I couldn't read some nights. Sometimes I would stay up late to finish a chapter, only to get sucked into reading another and another. (This was the part in the novel where Collins and Darcy were proposing to Elizabeth.) It was my addiction. I may have done poorly on a few quizzes after a late night's reading, but I always aced the test!

Needless to say, that Christmas my mother gave me the 1995 A&E/BBC version of P&P. I absolutely loved seeing my favorite characters come to life in the exact way I had imagined them to appear! Elizabeth was lovely, and Mrs. Bennet was perfect! Bingley was the right amount of positive energy. And, of course, Mr. Darcy was a tad bit more handsome played by Colin Firth, than anyone I could have imagined. The fencing scene was one of my favorites even though it wasn't explicitly written in the book. You can imagine that Mr. Darcy fenced, though.


I have watched many versions of P&P films since that time. The 1940s one with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier is neat, but not very accurate to the novel (deletes characters and changes around the order of the novel quite drastically) or the time period (the clothing is from the 1820s and 30s, not the Regency period). But, it does have the spirit, and who doesn't like Greer Garson as Elizabeth Bennet?


The '95 version is still my first love. But the 2005 Keira Knightly version is a wonderful film, rich in costumes, music and cinematography. I have to admit I watch that one when I am having trouble sleeping.


While we're on the topic of music, I had "Dawn" play as my bridesmaid's entrance song during my wedding.


So, what makes more sense than to bring my leather bound gold embossed book of Jane Austen's works, the A&E/BBC 1995 P&P DVD, and the 2005 P&P Keira Knightly DVD with me to France? I thought you'd all agree. It's fitting. It's perfect. And, it's, well, part of me.


Thank you, Miss Austen, for your work!

10 comments:

  1. I should introduce you to my wife... Oh wait, you already know her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yup. She and I seem to share the same passion for P&P, huh? ;-)

      Delete
  2. How has this shared obsession not come up in conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love P&P and I find that the movies stand up well...usually book adaptions fall flat...but Austen's work translates well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most heartily agree. I'm always hesitant to see movie adaptations of books, except when it's an Austen novel!

      Delete
  4. The 1995 is definitely my favorite version as well and is actually what got me hooked in the first place. I have since read the book and seen several other versions. Did you know there was also a modern day version made in 2003? Its called "Pride and Prejudice: A Latter-Day Comedy" & it is pretty good although not true to the story. "Lost in Austen" is also an interesting movie as well as "Bride & Prejudice" Happy 200th Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen Pride and Prejudice: A latter-day comedy. I'll have to take a look! I have seen Lost in Austen, which, I agree, was interesting. And Bride and Prejudice began my love of Indian Bollywood music. I had almost forgotten those! Thank you for posting. Happy 200th Anniversary to you too!

      Delete
  5. While I think it's sad when a book falls apart, I love hearing stories of people who loved it literally to pieces. Your site is gorgeousness by the way. I have not yet seen the 2005 version, but as so many P&P fans who loved the 1995 version have also said how they enjoyed it I will be adding it to my watch list. Here's to another 200 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the compliment! I hope you enjoy the 2005 version. (Think of it as a piece of artwork that takes into consideration the fact that we already know the story and therefore is playing up the colors, lights, and settings. It's like "P&P light", imo.)
      Here, here! To another 200 years!

      Delete