Monday, August 26, 2013

What do I do in my free time? Glad you asked!

So some of you (i.e, family members) may be wondering what I do in my spare time here in France.   When the laundry is done, folded and away; bread is made; and the house is vacuumed and I don't have any errands to run, I amuse myself in the arts.

I've begun porcelain painting this past year and I absolutely love it!
These are my favorite pieces I've done. 

Music and Roses tarte plate

Cranes decorative plate

French roosters
 They were really so much fun to do and I plan on doing the class again this year! We sign up in September. Can't wait!

Other than painting, I do some drawing. Nothing too big and always in a black book I have, but I like them. It keeps me entertained.
I'll share a few from this year with you. No harsh criticisms, please. I look at the drawings as more of a study in materials and form. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Most of what I draw is from life or a still. But, well, you'll see.

"Biscuit Garnot"
This is a stuffed animal dog, named Biscuit, who belongs to two sweet twin girls
(grandchildren of my dear friends here). They had asked me to draw him.
So I did. They only gave me 10 minutes hence why it's not properly shaded.

 "Cat in a tree"
This is a study in charcoal and colored charcoal. Lucky for me, the cat outside
was adorable and decided to be a nice model..for 15 minutes.

 "Photobomb"
And this, well, it's entirely from my own mind. I was craving Chinese steamed
pork buns that night. It's amazing what happens when you get cravings...

And this one's the newest. I call it, "Bedtime Stories".
This is based off a still from Jane Austen's "Northanger Abbey", the film from 2007. I changed a few things but the idea is the same.

And, oh yeah, I'm working on a new writing piece and will be joining a writer's group soon. So very excited about this.

So yep. That's what I do in my spare time. Mom, now you know.
*Whew!*
(It's always scary sharing art online, so I'm just going to trust that all goes okay.)
Thanks for reading!

Until next time,
Bisous

No comments:

Post a Comment