Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fried Chicken, Sauerkraut, and The Nutcracker?

Wow!  It's been a while since my last post.  Well, I guess that's what happens when October and November get busy.
So what have I been up to these days?  A lot of things actually.

So far I've made a few homemade goodies:
Southern Fried Chicken (complete with mashed potatoes and green beans)
Frying up the chicken in  what else, Crisco!
We went through so many paper towels
The final product.  Soo good!

 
Sauerkraut and Bratwurst with tiny potatoes

Should be easy, right?

Uh oh, from a Cooking School Cookbook, from the 1920s??

 


So far so good.  Cabbage is in the pot with butter.


Let the cooking begin!

Now for all this to be added.

Looking good! Smells great!

Final product.  Next time a little more vinegar for the sauerkraut and we're all set.

And then I've also been up to a carved pumpkin for Halloween.
Our little astronomy pumpkin!

Starry night, carved by Mr. K.



It was projecting on our wall.  Thought it was neat!
 Mr. K and I have  seen a few movies too:
La Vie En Rose (which I have wanted to see since my time in Paris)


Soul Surfer- which if you haven't seen it yet, you should.  Very inspiring and all about faith and surfing.




Breaking Dawn (in theaters, *gasp!  We actually went out to one! Scary, I know*)
I liked it, aside from a few squeemish shots.  It was actually pretty tastefully done and pretty in line with the book. Looking forward to the next and last film.




We've gone to a Christmas Concert:
Trans Siberian Orchestra (which is the best in all the world) with the in-laws.  Always a hit.  If you've never been, think of heavy metal hair bands doing classical pieces and Christmas songs. :-) I love it (not vintage-y, but definitely fun)

We've converted a VHS taping of The Nutcracker on Ice- starring Dorothy Hamil to DVD!  Throwback to the 80s! I can still remember my mom wanting me to get a "Dorothy Hamill" haircut and I used to think it was the Clara cut.  I had no idea until later that she meant a short bowl cut. She obviously did not share my love of long hair when I was 7!


Nutcracker Prince and Clara


I am very excited about this and am eagerly waiting until after Thanksgiving before watching anything Christmas related, by order of Mr. K.  (If it were up to me, I'd be enjoying Christmastime all year round...What a celebration that would be if believers celebrated Christmas all year!)

We've also been busy with Christmas shopping.  I tend to do that all year, but this year I'm trying to get it done before Mid December so that we have some time to relax and enjoy the Christmas season.

And oh yeah, Mr. K has gone on another interview.  This time one in Michigan, Anne Arbor to be exact.  So God is providing for us.  He has another interview in December sometime too.  It's beginning to get exciting (and scary) to know that we might be leaving Long Island in 6 months or so. Eeep!

So all in all, very busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment