Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Spring Is...Almost Here

Good morning everyone!

Thought I should show you the beauty we had in our backyard just last week. See, it snowed. Then snowed some more. (Totally unfamiliar to the Northeast, I know.)

But the cool thing is...between the two snow storms, it completely melted away. Because of the altitude and the constant sun here, we don't get snow that lasts forever. Which is sad. Makes for a rushed sledding day and if you don't get out there the exact day it snows, forget it!

But, we have a pup. And we must go outside (or go crazy). 

Mochi is kind of like the Postal Service in some ways. 

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor hail, nor snow will keep this puppy from her mission of flushing all the birds from our yard.

Anyway, onto the snow!

This is a random vine thing that just looks like a fairy haven.

In case you don't know, I love snow.

I mean, seriously love it.

I grew up in Florida and seeing snow fall from the skies when I was a freshman in college was something I'll never forget.


That and attaching a cactus to the roof of someone's car during a snow storm.
Ah, memories...

After it snowed, it began to fog. I've never seen that before. This just looked so romantic.

But you know what else is pretty in winter?

Icicles.


Let's take another look at that fog, shall we?


It was so neat to see it happen in a matter of minutes. I felt like I was on a movie set.

Though, my brain told me that fog can be for a romance or a horror.

That kind of put a damper on my enjoyment.

Until I saw this chica.


She was apparently practicing for her next starring role in Harry Potter and the Cloaked Beast, the unknown 8th book in the series.

Hehe.

Yes, I made that cape/cloak/cover thing.

Yes, it's from my pajama pants.

And yes, my pajama pants had help in becoming pajama shorts. Those freshly trimmed puppy talons are sharp!

I like to think of myself as a woman who repurposes things, hence the cape. I know it won't last long.

But a caped puppy avenger makes me feel less mad about losing my favorite pair of flannel pants.

You really can't be mad when you see her run in her cape.

Anywho...that snow melted. Then right after my birthday, it snowed again.  This time it was a bigger storm. We got a whopping 10 inches!

Horror of horrors, I cry in jest.

I used to pray that we'd only get 8-10 inches when we lived on Long Island and in upstate New York. That would have been a kind storm. More often than not we'd get 3 feet overnight that I'd have to scrape off my unprotected car the next morning at 4am before driving to work.

But here in New Mexico, it's better. I don't have to drive to work (because I work out of my home these days) and, well, I know it'll melt before too long.

So right after it stopped, we went outside.


Okay, maybe we went outside when it had lightened up a little.

Then Mochi, the terror beast, discovered that with that much snow, she could make tunnels.

And so she tunneled all over our yard.

Meanwhile, I had more fun with the obscenely long icicles we had on the far side of our house.

Scary!

Of course, the best thing to do with snow is make SNOWMEN!

I like to call this our family portrait.

 Mr. K took the pup out front and she immediately had to inspect the snow beast.


Satisfied that it was frozen and wouldn't move, she began playing on the hill of snow Mr. K just made.

This picture really sums up NM in winter: Snow that is melting, sun, blue skies, and cold.

Front of the house shoveled and done, I decided to have some fun with the pup.
Scroll through these photos for a stop-motion movie.
I think you'll laugh.

The toss

Bat-ears deployed

The attempt

The miss!

I just looked them over again and cracked up at the last one. Again. For the fiftieth time now.

It never fails to make me laugh.

We were interrupted in our game...by the sounds of a tractor (!) plowing our street.

We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

So yeah.

Snow. Gotta love it.


Until next time,
Bisous!

No comments:

Post a Comment