Monday, September 29, 2014

Wine Tasting in New Mexico

Hi all!

So, it's been too long. I forgot to update on Labor Day and all the fun we had with some new friends here.

We went wine tasting in Northern New Mexico. Now, I know most of you will say that there are no vineyards in NM and the wine there must be tolerable at best.

WRONG!

There are quite a few vineyards (about 30-50 to be exact) and the wine at three of the four we went to was great!

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

First stop: Black Mesa Winery!


I loved their painted wall!

The picture doesn't do the bright colors justice, either. So pretty!

We were able to try about five wines of our choice. Mr. K and I tried a port, a couple reds, and two delicious whites: a sparkling wine and a reisling (it's called Woodnymph!). The last two were winners for us and we bought a bottle of each.
We have something to ring in 2015 and also something fun to drink when family visits. Cheers!

Another cool thing about this vineyard? The lavender honey goat cheese. They gave us free samples to go on crackers with our wine. Serious yum factor.

Oh, and their cat was pretty chill too. She was very friendly and didn't mind the baby pats.

The cat came right up to the little guy.
Under much supervision, the babe made friends.

We decided after the tasting to have our picnic lunch outside at their table.

But lo! What's that I see?

Yes indeed! Hummingbirds!  There were about twenty of them all around us. It was awesome.

The merry crew!

Little Man with Mr and Mrs E, then Mr and Mrs B and of course, Mr K.
It's also with this shot that I see my camera has a bit of a fish eye. Hmmm...

Back to the hummingbirds.


I honestly couldn't get enough of them. I may or may not have forsaken my sandwich in search of the perfect shot of those lovely winged creatures.

The consensus: excellent winery, excellent company, excellent bird watching capabilities.
Overall score: 11 out of 10.

After lunch, we were off again to another winery. But the views on the way were amazing!

Reminds me of the covered wagon treks in history books.

Next stop: La Chiripada Winery


They had an excellent red table wine among many others.  And no fee to taste as many wines as you like. They just ask for a donation.

It was great. Plus they let you fill your water bottle there. However, the water is from a well, so if you're not used to that, it might taste a bit funny.

We got a lot of photo ops in their archway.

Consensus: Good reds and kind owner
Overall score: 9 out of 10

Their vineyard

After acquiring a nice bottle of red we were off again to another vineyard.


Side note: Mr K and I will have to return to La Chiripada again soon to get another bottle of red. It was too delicious to last!

Anyway, on the road again, we made a few stops.

 For example, the Rio Grande (which wasn't very Grande actually...at least not here)


The day was gorgeous and the clouds just so fluffy.


An old-time shot of the mountains and hills in Northern New Mexico.


Can you tell I like it here?

Then we found the coolest old bridge around.

No one is allowed to walk on it for danger of falling through the planks, but it makes for great black and white photos.

The cliffs around the bridge were fantastic!


Each shot was different.


But I think this one is my fave!

No adjustment, just the natural colors of the rock!

But that bridge. Boy! I was in photo heaven.


And then it was time to head on. The next place was more of a Brewery than a winery and it was okay. They had good Root Beer though. But, probably not a place Mr K and I will return to. Just not our style.

However, Mr E and Little Man were adorable. The babe seems to know when you are taking photos.


Which reminds me! When Mr K and I got to Mr and Mrs E's home at the start of the journey, Little Man plopped down onto the floor and posed for me as soon as he saw my camera!

Leg lifted and such expression! He held this pose for about two minutes.

Hehehe. I love kids. They make for some of the best subjects for photos. Especially when they like the camera as much as this little guy.

We were about to leave to head on to the next place when I saw this.
All the times I've played Oregon Trail came back to me in a single glance.

This photo summed up the Southwest to me.

Wagon wheel and everything!

The next stop was at a nice place and I didn't take a picture. Nor do I remember the name. All I know is that they had and still have excellent port wine, thanks to the Spanish missionaries that developed the area.

Oh, and I tried an herbal wine, which tasted exactly like herbs and roses. Very interesting but probably not one I will have at home. It is worth the experience though.

Afterwards, we all headed back for some dinner and games. We had a great time and I'm so glad we got to explore the area with our new friends.

So, until next time,
Bisous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment