Friday, March 14, 2014

Happy Pi(e) Day!!!

Hi everyone!
I was waiting to do this entry until Pi Day (which actually only works if you think of the date the American way, as in 03/14.) Sorry my European friends!

Anyway, how does one celebrate this fantastic day? Well, some discuss the meaning of pi. Some throw those pastries around, but in our household, it is a tradition to bake a pi(e) and savor it slowly while possibly contemplating how cool it is that an awesome celebration such as this just happens to fall on Einstein's birthday.

Coincidence? I think not. He was probably a big fan of the pastry if I had to guess.

So, why all this lead up? Because I made a pie for Pi Day and I'm gonna share it with you!

Sour Cream Raspberry Pie

Here's the round up:
Only five ingredients: crust, flour, raspberries, sour cream, and sugar.
I bought my pie crust this year, because I have yet to make a decent one with the French flour. Just not to my liking. If you are making this in France, you want a pâte brisée.

Sprinkle the bottom of the pie crust with 2 tablespoons of flour like so:
Try to get it all around

Spread it out so it looks like this:


Then you're going to add four cups of  raspberries right on top, this way.
Tumbling berries always make me smile.

Got your raspberries? Check!


You'll want to try to make the pile as flat as possible. Feel free to shuffle the berries around to suit your taste.

Mmmm....raspberries. Let's take a closer look at them, shall we?
Gorgeous!

Righty-O. Onto the next step. Sour Cream. If you're lactose intolerant, this may not be the best recipe for you. I'm not sure what you could substitute in for this one...

If you live in the United States, this is an easy thing to find. I had to substitute this ingredient with the French likeness, otherwise known as crème fraîche. For all purposes, it works, most of the time. It's a little sweeter than the tangy cream I'm used to in the USA. That said, the sweetness of the cream will work in our favor for this recipe.

Pour 1 cup of sour cream over the raspberries.
"You can light up a room with a dollop, a dollop, of Daisy..."

Ah, commercials from my youth!

Now, your pie might look like this.
Just look at that texture!

But, what it needs to look like is this.


This is where your creativity and art classes from childhood are going to pay off. And, you're going to have so much fun pushing around the cream, smushing the raspberries, and creating swirls that you might forget what your next step is.

Ah hem.

Sugar! Three tablespoons to be exact.


I chose three instead of two because I added about a half cup more raspberries than the recipe called for and my sour cream was less than a cup. You can always add less if you like a tangier, tarter pie.

One last look before we put it in the oven.
Holy Sweetness, Batman! That looks great!

Put it in the oven, preheated to 375 F (190 C ) normal heating, no convection fan, for 30-40 minutes until it's golden brown and bubbling. Then pull it out and set it to cool.


Et voilà! Your Sour Cream Raspberry Pie is ready for Pi Day!

Enjoy warm or chilled. Alone or with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream over top.

Let the festivities commence!

Until next time,
Bisous

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! And, it totally is. :-) Highly recommend you try it out too.

      Delete